Continue to commune with greatness.

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Have you ever thought about saving the world while hungover?

Today was another boilerplate day of stuff I had already seen and was clearly not interested in. Trying to hangout and to 12-hour days that start at 5:30 sucks. Again I was asleep during half of the class. At any rate I get a call from today's date and she wants to know if we are still on. We meet up at another of my old watering holes and one of my old bartender was still there so I gave him the story as to why I'm there and being the patriot that he is the started jamming me up with Jack and Coke and her up with Stoli and whatever she was drinking (to be honest I wasn't paying attention). So we start chatting it up she asks me the standard six and we chat about how long it has been since we had seen each other and all that jazz and soon after she is giving me that look I'm giving her that look and then I start thinking man she is only one drink away from impaired judgment. Then her phone rings.

Her: Hello? Yeah, I'm at the Friday's I told you about. Yeah, come on down you can meet him I'll see you in a bit. My friend wants to meet you.

Me (out loud) - Yeah, that's cool.
Me (in my mind) - FUCK! She's pulling out the old friend routine. This can only end poorly for me. I'm no simp I know the deal.

Her buddy comes in and gives me the "You are SOOO brave speech." (NOTE to all: There isn't bravery or heroics in what I'm doing if my job required either of those then I wouldn't do It.). Her buddy has a few drinks and then says I have to go and I have to talk to you about something important so we will talk later. Needless to say her friend has a "life-changing emergency" that of course can only be fixed if they work on it tonight.

Even with the prospect of death in my face I'm not going to chase it. I'm not much of a chaser. Besides, is all about principles if you don't have them then what do you have, ya know? Chalk up another victory to Team CB. Well at least I have a buzz out of the deal, we say out goodbyes and that was that. I'm sure if I put on a full court press I could have made something happen but, I'm old and I don't chase anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home