Continue to commune with greatness.

Thursday, December 30, 2004

Convoys

I for obvious reasons I don't like them however there are some here that would rather take a convoy over riding in a helo. The thing is we do a lot of off roading when we move on the ground (mostly because there isn't much road left) all that stuff that you see on truck commercials we do it. Burnouts, doughnuts, jumping, traveling in ravines, all that stuff. The Marines have a protocol when it comes to driving out and about or at least I think they do. It's called drive as fast as you can over whatever you can to get wherever you need to be.



We are in these HUMMV's crusing a good 50 or 60 miles per hour over hills, dunes, old cars, old ladies, and all that stuff. I'm sure all of this looks really cool from the outside but it is hell on your backside and neck from all the bouncing around. But the thing about it that has taken the most amount of time for me to get used to is that no one wears seatbelts (including myself) and it's not because they think they are cool or that seatbelts will get jammed or anything like that but it's becasue you never know when you are going to have to bail out of the HUMMV in a hurry. Nothing like having to unbuckle your seat belt while taking a load of 7.62 bullets to the face. Now I see why there have been such a large number of non-combat vehicle fatalties. Accidents that would result in a few bruises can will be fatal around here but, on the flip side seatbelts don't protect against gunfire. You can take your choice.

2 Comments:

Blogger one_eyed_jack59 ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

Personally I think I opt for the quick bail out!!

Thursday, December 30, 2004 9:04:00 AM

 
Blogger one_eyed_jack59 ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

TH,

I know you can't say, but if you could, how did you get into this gig?

Thursday, December 30, 2004 11:54:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home