Continue to commune with greatness.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

The 30 Dance ™

I need to go ahead and trademark this. If you are lucky you will live long enough to do the 30 Dance ™. One of my fellow bloggers was commenting about her malaise she is at a point where she feels unhappy in her life but it's not a depression per se but more about this thing that hangs over you. You will start to get the itch to do this dance around 29 years old or so. After a while you start moving to this rhythm that goes. Who am I, what am I doing, when am I going to get there, where is my life headed, why is this happening to me, and how did I get it so wrong?

The funny thing about being a teenager and an young adult is that you are so full of optimism and you have this GRAND plan and everything is going to work according to this plan. You are going to go to college, get this great job making shitloads of money, find this perfect mate, get married, have kids, your mate is going to have this great job so you all can buy that big white house on the hill. You'll drive the Benz and your mate will drive the Lexus SUV and everything will just work out great.

Me, I'd never spoil the fun for a teenage by telling them how the "real" world is. What fun would that be? I want every kid behind me to fuck up thier credit like I did. Rejection letters and bill collecters build character the way I see it. It's new age dodgeball!

The 30 Dance ™ is not a fun dance but, it's the dance we do when we start getting closer 30 and evaluate our lives. For many people it's the idea that they haven't found that one special person, or it could be that they are not as successful as their high school counselor told them they would be. Or that they are under a pile of debt that they can't see their way out of, or they are in a job they hate. The thing about this new world that we live in is that it has extened childhood by about 8 years or so. So even though we become "adults" at 18 we really don't grow up until about 26 but society makes us think we are grown in our 20s. We arent.

There is no easy solution to the 30 Dance ™. We all hit it differently and we all come out of it differently. I'm not the best judge when it comes to the 30 Dance ™. It hit me and I took a sucidal job in Iraq. So taking advice from probably isn't in your best interest. I just see the trend, luckly for me everything will work exactly as I planned it when I turn 40.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kazumi ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

This 30 Dance (can't find TM sign)? I'm 30 and I am not do it. Didn't start it at 29. Nope. I'm actually completely happy with where I am in life. But I guess that's because unlike so many of my cohorts, I didn't sit down in sixth grade and plan out my entire life. I would tell teenagers to stop planning so religiously. Have a loose plan, but be willing to go with the flow.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005 6:30:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

Yeah, that's the way to do it but, for many it's hard to see.


The ™ sign it alt+2122 using the number pad.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005 6:38:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

Nicely written... If we stop living for society and start living for ourselves we will be happier individuals...

Wednesday, April 20, 2005 6:48:00 AM

 
Blogger AMES ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

When I was about 10 I mapped my life out until I was 23, after 23 I knew I'd be able to play. That's how I'm living. I think I'll blog about this.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005 9:55:00 AM

 
Blogger Brown Shuga ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005 10:44:00 AM

 
Blogger Brown Shuga ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

Uh...I know you're happy you "trademarked" your 30 dance. *also trying to figure out how to type TM sign*
Tommie, this was an excellent post! I was reading and nodding my head..."Yep...that's true."

Wednesday, April 20, 2005 10:46:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

Shout out to our HBCU "HOWARD"!!!!

Howard University's Law School placed first place in a American Bar Association Mock Trial Competition.. The team was the first from a historically Black college to do so, according to blackcollegewire.com. "It solidified the fact that although others think we are a third-tier law school, we are the best trial advocates," The team dethroned two time champion Harvard University...

Wednesday, April 20, 2005 12:54:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home