Continue to commune with greatness.

Thursday, November 25, 2004

Thanksgiving - This is what I call bravery a real hero

I've been on a plane all night still sick and I get to Atlanta around 5:30 in the morning my parents come and pick me up and then we head to South Carolina for Thanksgiving. I'm a little upset that my brother is going to North Carolina to spend time with his in-laws for Thanksgiving. I'm like I'm about to go to Iraq I came home to spend time with my family and he dips out like this. Does he not know or not care why did he have to go this Thanksgiving. I don't like to think morbidly but really we could be looking at my last Thanksgiving.

Oh well, I'm here with my parents so that's good enough. I get in the car and sleep the entire way there. I am really running on fumes at this point I have no more energy to give. I hear my Mom and Dad talking in the background they may be talking to me or each other I can't really tell I'm so sleepy. So we show up at my Grandma Patterson's house and the place is empty. When I was a kid my family showing up to South Carolina was a major event and everyone would come over to my Grandma's house. After my Grandaddy died that changed and now it's not the same place. Grandma's house used to be a place of magical fun now it's just a house, it has some of the same things but, it is a different place all together. I think my family tends to take their family for granted I'm the only one in my family that is away from home with no family of my own so I am grateful for my time with my family all of them. But, it's all preception who knows, if I lived in Atlanta I may take my family for granted as well.

The other part of this is my paternal and maternal Grandparents all live on the same street so it is always hard to cordinate activites with them all. What usually happens is my Dad goes to spend time with his family and my Mom, brother and I spend time with my maternal family. This year however my paternal uncle John is having a Thanksgiving dinner at his house so we head over there. I have to say it was pretty cool the food was good and I saw most of the family on my Dad's side a few uncles were missing but, when you take family for granted that's par for the course. At anyrate I was terribly sleepy and in and out of conversations so it looked like I was disintersted but hell I was exhausted. I went out to the back where all the men were and partook in the some of the finest brandy in the land Christian Brothers VS. All I can say is, "Whoa, I wasn't ready."

I have a cousin named Ricky who has cancer. I'm not sure of his condition but, I know that it is a struggle for him. He was in the hospital the day before but, he had himself checked out so he could spend time with family. I saw him walk around and meet and greet. He looked so pleased to be around and was really enjoying himself. But, you could tell that it was physically taxing for him to be up and around. To me that takes courage, that's a real hero to me. Here he is making Thanksgiving for others, he is there in the mix. I don't know if I could be as strong if I were him. People want to go around calling me a hero, brave, a true American and all that stuff. The truth is I'm a simple war profiteer I'm profiting on someone else's pain. That's not heroic that's ghoulish. People like my cousin are what I call heroes. He inspires me to go on his actions on that day showed me that life is precious and you should enjoy it in however and whatever form it comes in.

Thanksgiving was cool and I met one of my other cousin's friend. She was a sexy little thing and the conversation was cool. She said we could hook up later and I was like cool. We headed back over to my other Grandma's house and we ate some more Thanksgiving dinner. By that time some of my aunts and cousins had stopped by so it was a bit of party. A cousin of mine had his little girlfriend there and her mom. If you ask me I was thinking that the Mom was trying to hook up my little cousin for herself she was all into him. I was just chillin' and resting a bit. My Dad promised my Aunt that he would stay at her house so my Mom and Dad were getting ready to head there. Me, I was setting up other plans so I gave them some BS story about work so I could cut out. Another one of my cousins came by and picked me up then I checked in to a Marriott where I had reservations so I could kinda chill and get some rest. We talked for a long time about just her life and my life and how close we were as kids and about Iraq. I mean we talked about half the night then I woke up and she was dipping out. She told me the next day that I just fell out on her and she couldn't wake me up so she cut out.

Well after that I have no idea what time it was. Little sexy hits me up and wanted to chit-chat! I'm like honey I'm going to be back in Atlanta in like 7 hours and you want to run down your life story and ambitions for the future? Not only that I'm am beyond tired so the idea of chatting on the phone at like 3:30 in the morning is really not on my plate of things to do. I mean don't get me wrong she was cool and if I was in a different place or time then things would be cool but, I'm not in that place or time so it wasn't. Finally I think I passed out on her and she got the hint.

Well my folks came by the hotel and then we went back to my Grandma's and chilled for a bit and then I come to find out my Aunts were about to roll up on my cousin's MILF because they said she was trying to flirt with my Dad. That was funny. So anyways we say goodbye and all that stuff and then we get in the car and head back to Atlanta again I sleep all the way home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home