Continue to commune with greatness.

Saturday, January 01, 2005

Rogue's Gallery: Entry 0003 - First Sergeant Duffman

Duffman he is out of Kentucky has a cherub like quality to his face that runs counter to his position. He has big blue eyes. Not, that I’m looking intently into his eyes he just demands eye contact when he talks to you. My office is in the same building those houses the security detail for the Abu Ghraib prison. He is the First Sergeants of that detail. He is a lifer and takes pride in his role as morale booster for the troops. He is the kind of guy that yells everything in a morale boosting way. Even if my office door is closed he will come in and be sure to say hello (well not hello. HURR) for example if you pass by him in the hall and you ask him how he is doing he will respond with “THE FIRST SERGEANT IS EXCELLENT!” or “TODAY IS A GREAT DAY TO BE A MARINE!” or “I HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO BE IN A GOOD MOOD YOU SEE WHAT IS AROUND ME DEVIL DOGS AND KILLERS!”

It’s a quite enjoyable show and he is good for the morale of the guys around here. The reason I’m putting a Rogue’s Gallery on him is really because he was the first guy I saw when I woke up in Iraq. It was like he was hovering around the door waiting for me to come out. I opened the door squinting, you know that “I just got up and it’s too bright” look. And here comes this guy out of nowhere barking in my face. “WELCOME TO EYE-RAK! THIS IS MY PARADISE, GLAD YOU COULD JOIN US!”

ME (still squinting and not really adjusted to people yelling just yet): Yeah, likewise.

The funniest thing I heard from him was one day when he was repremanding one of his men.

"Have the Lance Corporal come see me please. I need to instruct him that we do not speak to our Hajiis in that manner. We will treat our Hajiis with diginity and respect while they are in our custody. I will not tolerate vulgarity used toward the Hajiis while on my watch. You have him understand that before he comes to talk to me and I make him understand that."

At any rate you all should sleep better at night knowing this guy is part of the Marines. I’d hate for him to be a car salesman.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home