Continue to commune with greatness.

Monday, February 14, 2005

Happy Valentine's Day.

The whole “holiday” is pure bullocks and rubbish to me. You are shocked I’m sure. My animosity towards this holiday has earned me scorn from the women I’ve dated (they’ll tell you I have no romantic bones in my body), my aunts, and even my buddies. I’ll never buy into it. There are several reasons why I’m not into it. The first one is that my parents aren’t into it. Like I said they aren’t impressed by what they consider trinkets. To them their love is expressed on a totally different level anyone that has seen my parents together has noticed that and seen that. To them everyday is a day to cherish the person you love and I tend to fall into that category. That’s not to say that they don’t do special things for each other they do spoil each other like mad. I remember asking my Dad what is it about his relationship that has worked so well. He said that for him it was simple. They never stopped dating. For them I think it’s the fact that they aren’t into group fun and Valentine’s Day only works because other people do it.

The second reason is that I was never indoctrinated into the spirit of Valentine’s Day. I never got cards in elementary school when they would exchange card they would always skip over me. So for me after a while I just expected it. I look at Valentine’s Day how kids that are Jehovah’s Witnesses look at Christmas. It sure looks nice but it’s not for me. When I was in Jr. High School and High School I was a lame and no girls liked me so that was out of the question. The first and only time I got a card was when I was 23. My girlfriend in college was the first one to ever give me a card

The third reason is pretty much because it is a made up holiday to keep the economy going. The powers that be figure that most lames have paid off their Christmas bills and they can be guilted into shelling out for something and of course they will always have to top themselves every year spending more and more just to prove what already existed the day before and the day after. To me it comes off as the ultimate keeping up with the Jones’. To me those that have the confidence that comes with experiencing true love life have no need for Valentine's Day since they are adored every day.

The final reason is because of my free spirit. I don’t like to do something because someone tells me I have to or I’m a bad person. I’m more than willing to have a romantic day or buy flowers or take a trip as a matter of fact I love to do it when the mood arises. I love spoiling people and making them feel like they are my whole world but don’t “force” me to do it or I won’t do a damn thing. The idea of HAVING to do it because every other jackass is doing it sickens me to my core. Love is too delicate, too precious, too integral to the core of our beings to be risked on a fake holiday.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

This may be true but most people don't do what their supposed to on a daily basis. Most tend to slack once they're in a relationship taking each other for granted. Have you ever asked any of the woemen you were with if they were satisfied with you're performance on a "daily basis", or did you just take it for granted that you were giving them what YOU thought they needed? No I don't think you should do something just because everyone else is doing it or if it's not special to you, but just make sure the person you are with is in sink with you.

Sunday, February 13, 2005 4:41:00 PM

 
Blogger Unknown ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

I agree with you 100%. I'll never sit here and say that I did everything right and they were just 'poor misguided souls' because they didn't understand the grand wisdom of my plan.

Obviously since I use the term "ex" often missteps were made. Trust me I've never won any friends with my view on Valentine's Day. Your latter point of making sure that people are in sync with you is the most important goal of any relationship to me at least.

Sunday, February 13, 2005 4:52:00 PM

 
Blogger Amy ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

Hey, I actually agree with your take on Valentines Day - to do something special ‘just because’ on any given day is just that - very special! Not because society dictates you to do so… But hang about just one second - "holiday"?! You get a holiday for Valentines Day???! Ripped off - we don't get a holiday he in the Great Down Under... Man, if I got a holiday for that stupid day I think my entire outlook on its validity would be completely different... perhaps not for the right reasons, but man, it's a holiday! Who cares!

Monday, February 14, 2005 10:23:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home