Continue to commune with greatness.

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Tommie Hustle hates Black History Month.

That's right I said it. I can't stand Black History Month. This may sound strange to some of my readers but, no it is true. I find it to be such a waste. Your next question I'm sure is

"Why, Isn't it good for people to learn about the history of Blacks?"

I would reply yes, however it would have to be done right and it hasn't been well at least from where I sit.

Well let me get into the jist of why I hate it. When I was a kid I was always the only Black kid in my class. So when it came to Black History Month every teacher I ever had started off pretty much the same way and it when something like this.

A long time ago black people in America were slaves and they had to work for white people and they were beaten and that was bad. Then EVERY kid in the class would turn in my direction and look at me like I had first hand knowledge of being a slave. This happened EVERY Feburary, excpet when I went to Black schools where of course no one gave a shit about history.

Well for me Black History was everyday. While the average 5th grade was doing reports on Martin Luther King Jr., Abraham Lincoln, or if they got really ballsy they would do Sojurner Truth. I was at home reading books like Satan in the Pulpit, or the Triangle Trade and it's impact on modern shipping routes, or Blue Eyed Devil, or the complete history of Africa. Things like that my Dad made sure that my brother and I were well versed in all things Black all during the year. I remember my Dad letting us read these books and I remember him telling me that I could never tell people at my school what I was reading. I didn't know why at the time but, as an adult it all comes full circle. The things that I was reading would have been so infuriating to my teachers that I probably would have been lynched at school and it would have jepordized our entire family. So as with many things in my home it fell into the realm of "Family Business". Whenever you heard the term "Family Business" in my house that meant that it was NEVER to be discussed outside of the house. I'll probably get in trouble when I get back home for mentioning it now.

So for me the things they talked about EVERY year were so simplistic and showed:

1. A lack of interest on the part of educators.
2. A fundamental misunderstanding of how to intergrate Black culture into the everyday goings on of school.

I pretty much formulated that view by the time I was 11 or 12. Every year no matter what school I went to I could pretty much teach the month by myself because I knew my teachers weren't about to tell me anything I didn't know. It was like they were (and probably still are) content to teach the ABC's of Black History and never teach anyone how to make words.

This is what I think most of the kids that I went to school with me got out of Black History month.

Slavery is bad.
Helping Blacks is good.
Abraham Lincoln helped Blacks so he is good.
Getting shot in the head is bad.
Helping black people get on the front of the bus is good.
Martin Luther King helped Blacks so he is good.
Getting shot in the head is bad.

PS - Wearing white sheets is bad and Canada doesn't have slaves.

So at the end of the day it's good to help Black people but if you do you'll probably get shot in the head.

I remember the first time I actually formulated a cuss word for my own use in my mind. I was was in the 3rd grade and this boy came up to me after class and said "I'm sorry that you were a slave."

I thought to myself "What the fuck are you talking about? I'm not a slave. I live three houses up from you. I think he is really stupid."

That was the first time I actually thought a cuss word and the last time I actually talked to that boy in my class. No good would have come of it.



3 Comments:

Blogger Maurice Mitchell ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

Preach on man. When are we gonna get "white history month"? Or "Jew History month"? They're just trying to throw us a bone and absolve a years worth of guilt in one month.
Of course, I'm biased because we don't even get time off for Martin Luthor King day in Arizona.
P.S. I went to a white school for a while too growing up and it was the same thing.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005 8:39:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

You should have told that lil boy in the 3rd grade your momma was a slave also. ha ha ha

Thursday, February 03, 2005 3:11:00 PM

 
Blogger Nigel G Mitchell ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

The truly sad part is that even the most basic facts of black history (ex. George Washington Carver invented peanut butter) is a bold and stunning revelation to most white children...and some black children, for that matter. But it's true, it would be nice if they would have a more balanced perspective of history in general. They should just call American history classes White History.

Wednesday, February 09, 2005 9:35:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home