Continue to commune with greatness.

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Flipping Schedules

One of the questions I always get is how long do you work. Well, as I have said I’m on call my job is like being a fireman or something. Firemen don’t usually spend 8 hours a day putting out fires same thing here. Much like firemen situations can arise at any moment and you have to be ready and alert. So if you get a call a 2am then you have to be alert at 2am. Being that we have to work some random issues at random times and the fact that we talk to our friends and families and things like that our schedules are off. For example I was "on" for 29 hours on Saturday.


After a while you need to get back on a regular schedule so you have to “flip” your schedule. For example let’s say you need 8 hours to get a good night’s rest and you get up at 8am and you end up staying up till 4 am so for you to get your 8 hours of sleep you will sleep till noon. Now then if you do the same amount of time up you'll now find yourself going to sleep around 8am. You schedule is now “flipped” and you are sleeping the entire morning and now getting up in the afternoon (4pm). That works fine for when you have to work at night but, after a while you are going to want to start going to bed at regular hours and see sunlight for you to do that you have to flip again but, you may not have 3 days.

What happens is you get up a 4 pm and then you stay up till about 10pm the next day that is about 30 hours. It sounds wild but it’s really easy to do because if it is a slow day you are just doing paperwork and when you should be asleep the people from home are at work sending you emails. It’s funny to me a lot of times I’ll see people come to work email me to say they are in for the day, they’ll email me at lunch, then email me before they go home, and depending who they are email me to say they are going to bed. I’m up the whole time. It’s weird when you see someone’s whole day unfold right in front of your eyes. Well, I’ve just flipped back to days and now I gotta do some work that will have me up in the middle of the night so I’m going to have to “flip” again. My job is never done.

*grabs cape and flies out the window*

14 Comments:

Blogger Brown Shuga ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

DAg....your hours are crazy. Better you than me dude. I'd go stir crazy!

Tuesday, February 01, 2005 11:19:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

It takes a special kind of person to work this gig and being able to do all-nighters is part of the gig. It's not in the job description but you learn soon after you get here what time it is.

Tuesday, February 01, 2005 11:34:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

Do you want a cookie? It seems to me that you keep talking about these odd and long hours (I don't believe anyone tied you up and shipped you over there), yet it seems like you find ways to use government time and resources to post your daily stories on these long ass blogs. Maybe you should also just leave these postings to telling your mom Hi and that you love her and not talking crap about every Marine that might rub you the wrong way. Maybe you should get back to work. Either way, boo-friggin'-hoo! If you can't take the heat...

P.S. Keep your head down, lest you don't get paid.

Tuesday, February 01, 2005 11:56:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

Hmmm interesting, it I would like for you to point out exactly where I talked badly about any Marine. Please, honestly I'm waiting. Obviously, you haven't been reading long or you don't read for context which everone I'm not completly sure, no matter. Please find again where I have complained about being out here. I'm waiting. In this post please find where I have complained about the hours I keep? Please tell me. I'm waiting.

I'm explaining to those who are not here how my day goes. Now then if your feelings are hurt for whatever reason then so be it. But, if you are going get mad at least get mad with the right information.

Reading is Fundamental.

Tuesday, February 01, 2005 12:08:00 PM

 
Blogger Amy ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

Tommie, I couldn't have said it better!

Wednesday, February 02, 2005 4:27:00 AM

 
Blogger one_eyed_jack59 ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

You know Tommie you hit the nail on the head reading is fundamental and obviously Anonymous is still hooked on phonics.

Personally I cannot recall you ever saying anything derogatory about and service member. I appreciate your posts and I look forward reading your blog daily and so do many others.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005 5:45:00 AM

 
Blogger one_eyed_jack59 ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

YO Tommie package going out tomorrow! email me when you get it.

Steve aka one_eyed_jack

Friday, February 04, 2005 9:46:00 PM

 
Blogger Brown Shuga ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

Ok Tommie....did you let that anonymous cat run you off? You haven't posted since. So what you're using guv-ment time to type on your blog. I mean damn...who gives a hoot as long as you're over there doing what you went over there to do. I know I'm not one to talk especially since it seems I post every other week now. hahahaha Take care man!

Sunday, February 06, 2005 7:32:00 AM

 
Blogger one_eyed_jack59 ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

Tommie everthing ok?

Sunday, February 06, 2005 6:17:00 PM

 
Blogger Brown Shuga ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

Hey man...
just checking on ya...again. how are things going?

Monday, February 07, 2005 8:45:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

I'd just like to request that, if anyone has any news about Tom (or have heard from him recently0, they post it as a comment. Seeing how he was so prolific in his writing up until about Feb. 1, it's a little worrying not to have seen anything in a week. I'm hoping he's just crazy busy or Internet access is down or something... any info would be good. Silence is scary.

Wednesday, February 09, 2005 2:10:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

Who in the hell is anonymous???!!
Yes, reading is fundamental.
But comprehension is intrinsic.
Anonymous..... find meaning dude.

Robin Steward

Wednesday, February 09, 2005 8:29:00 AM

 
Blogger Amy ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

Yes, I have heard from Tommie Boy -he is safe and well folks, he had to go on a trip to get parts or something and said he wouldn't have access to a computer for about 2 weeks or so, so don't fret, he's okay and will be back soon enough!
Gee Tommie, the whole world is worries about ya! Next time leave a post so folks know you won’t be posting for a bit huh?

Friday, February 11, 2005 2:47:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

Indeed... thanks Alyssa for the note. Much appreciated.

-SickBoy (also the anon above asking for info)

Friday, February 11, 2005 1:48:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home