Continue to commune with greatness.

Saturday, March 26, 2005

FW: FW: FW: FW: RE: This will make you laugh.

Acutally it won't. I love the fact that people want to send me jokes and inspirational emails about keeping my head up and ducks paddleing like hell underwater but, I need to let you all know that there is a protocol to sending Forwarded messages.

IF you are going to send a fowarded message there are a few things you need to do.

  1. Rip the FW: off the subject line: It is poor ettique to just blindly send something as you get it be sure to put remove all the FW and RE off of the subject line. So that your intended readers know what they are opening without looking at all the crap.
  2. Edit the body: People are busy they don't have time to scroll past all the ">>>>>" and all the extra comments do get to the funny. Make it brief and if you have to open attachements to get to it just do a copy and past and put it in the body of your mail. With virsus and worms just waiting to steal all of your personal data. Be a good neighbor and mitigate the risk.
  3. BCC is your friend, use it: BCC = Blind Carbon Copy, it works just like CC with the added advantage of recipents not seeing the other 153 people you emailed it to. ON TOP OF THAT every wonder how you get those emails for she-male ball enhacers? Well at the end of every chain mail and forward there is a spammer just waiting to collect all those work and home email addresses you just wrapped up for him. Every person that is in that chain has their email address ripe for the picking and for free. SO, you can help stop spam by being proactive. If you are sending something out to more than three people. Use BCC and remove all additional email addresses from the body of the email.
  4. IF you find something so incredibly funny that you don't have the time or interest to do the things I just said to you then send your FW to superslick17-at-hotmail.com. I read all my FWs at the end of the week on that address. If they show up on any of my other addresses then they get deleted.

5 Comments:

Blogger Amy ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

Oh, and you forgot to tell them to delete that part at the end of these forwards that says "if you pass this email onto 10 friends then your life will be filled with luck and happiness, but if you DON'T the world will blow up and you will catch some nasty disease and bits of your anatomy will start to drop off and you will die" (you know my drift). I hate those things! And I hate it when people don't have the courtesy to remove that message from the end of their forward before they sent it on - I mean just because some inconsiderate fool cursed them, doesn't mean they had to pass on the curse to you. Friends don't do that in my books.
And guess what? I didn't forward it on to ANYONE and the world is still here - na na nah na na

Saturday, March 26, 2005 11:12:00 PM

 
Blogger Unknown ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

At the same time, I didn't forward them either and look where my job sent me.

Saturday, March 26, 2005 11:15:00 PM

 
Blogger Amy ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

Oh Hell, good point - in that case I have a stack of forwards I need to send you - what was that address again ;)

Saturday, March 26, 2005 11:21:00 PM

 
Blogger one_eyed_jack59 ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

I cannot agree with you more. People forward every little thing that their “friends” send them and they think that they need to send it to you.

Anymore I just delete the majority of it because most of the crap that is forwarded is just that, CRAP!

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 6:22:00 PM

 
Blogger Brown Shuga ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

I totally agree!! As a matter of fact, I usually erase forwards as soon as I see them in my INBOX. Well....it depends on who it is. Sometimes, I'll go ahead and glance at it but it still gets erased. Now, if for whatever reason, the shit is funny, I will forward to others. BUT I will take the "FWD" out of the subject matter. Usually...

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 6:36:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home