Continue to commune with greatness.

Saturday, March 05, 2005

Tommie Hustle is not a member of any subversive organization that believes in the violent overthrow of the government of United States of America.

Just had to throw that out there, I get lots of visitors to the site and you never know who may be watching. Well, as you all well know I pretty much pick my hair every time I have a free hand. My pick is much like a security blanket. Well a guy comes up to me and asks me if I am a member of the Black Panthers. Black Panthers? WTF.

I say "No, why would you ask something like that? I know I have a quizzical look on my face. Kinda the look you would have if you walked past the kitchen and you saw your grandma farting on top of the Thanksgiving turkey. Yeah, the look you are making right now.

He says "That pick you have with the fist and the peace sign you know that is the sign of the Black Panthers right?"


*TIME STOP*


I have a choice; I mean I felt like I Was in a Dave Chappelle skit. I mean I could "keep it real" but that was an emotional reaction based on incorrect assumptions from both of us. I'm thinking everyone should know a pick is a pick but, for someone white how could they know? He had no reason to know, learn, or care about picks. I thought to myself, is it really worth it? At the end of the day it really just was something he just didn't know.

*TIME START*


I said "Naw, man. This is just a pick the fist is just to remind the user that you have to grip it (this wasn't the time or the place to go into the concept of black power) and the peace sign well that just means to be gentle with your hair. It's all subtle."


"Really, I didn't know that, I was told it was the symbol of the Black Panthers."

"I'm sure Black Panthers used picks like these because, well they were Black and picks are what Black people use when we have a lot of hair and as you know all Black Panthers had afros."


"Man, I didn't know that. Wow, you learn something new everyday."

I gave a little smirk and said "You sure do."

4 Comments:

Blogger Maurice Mitchell ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

"When keepin' it real goes horribly wrong" was right on the money. If all black people "kept it real" we'd do nothing but fight ignorant people all day.
That description you made up was brilliant, I'll have to remember it.
"Wu-Tang!"

Monday, March 14, 2005 10:41:00 AM

 
Blogger Maurice Mitchell ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

I should have said "If all black people 'kept it real' all the time...". There are sometimes where it is absolutely necessary to 'keep it real'.
By the way, here's a link to Dave Chappelle Show's "'Keepin' it Realer' Brenda Johnson Keeps it Real"

Monday, March 14, 2005 10:57:00 AM

 
Blogger Unknown ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

Yeah man you gotta think quick.

Monday, March 14, 2005 10:57:00 AM

 
Blogger Maurice Mitchell ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

http://www.comedycentral.com/tv_shows/chappellesshow/showclips.jhtml

Monday, March 14, 2005 10:57:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home