Continue to commune with greatness.

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Rogue's Gallery: 00012 Captian Dynamo

Capt. Dynamo is project manager for the project I'm working on. As far as I'm concerned the sun rises and falls at his whim, he is the client. Well the first thing you notice about him is that he looks so young. The funny thing about the military is that relatively young guys run it. You see a Major and you'll ask how long he has been in and he'll say 18 years then you ask him how old he is and he'll say I'll be 7 and a half next month.

Capt. Dynamo is on point he has a young family that he left back in DC he talks to his boys constantly, like I said it’s hard being out here if you have young ones behind, but I like the fact that this Man makes sure that he can be there for his family. Another wild thing is that his Mother lives off of the same street as my parents. Once everything gets settled I'll try and insure that they get a chance to meet. That's on the back burner business first.

Well, at any rate the guy graduated for Howard so once he found out I went to Tennessee State University it didn't take long for us to establish that we play for the same team. The association we have is great for getting your foot in the door; membership has its privileges. All of us in the “club” know if you can survive financial aid at a HBCU then you deserve a degree in something.

The other thing you will notice about him is that he has an ego and I mean a major ego. As far as I'm concerned this is not to be unexpected. But, I can see how his style can be abrasive to older white folks; no one likes an uppity young Negro. But, see I understand it because he is I and I am he. Every college educated Black man that I know has an ego and that ego MUST be appeased. And I'll bet you my last dollar that you can double that ego for any Black man that graduated from and HBCU. I have seen some Black dudes that look like a mix between a turtle and a baboon with the personality of an African Lungfish. With that paper in their hand they will strut around they are God's gift to women. Now then put that same confidence in someone who is attractive, a sharp dresser, or charming (God forbid all three) and then you have some real trouble. T-Dog, T-Rizzoy from the A-Town, Meechie Hustle, Chedda, Kerseywater, T-Money, and Spellmore have it just to name a few I fall in line myself.

The reason for this is simple as a Black man you learn quick fast and a hurry that the world is against you and society expects to fail, when you succeed society fails. Don't want to be a father to your children? Way to go! Want to sell drugs instead of work to the best of your abilities and strive to be more than a poison peddler? Hey, gold star for you! Want to live beyond your means and have nothing for yourself and your children in your later years. Great job darky! For the Black man wallowing in failure is success. On top of that Black boys have the highest child mortality rate, highest incarceration rate, one of the highest drop out rates lowest life span (the Black man reaches middle age at 28 or so), least amount in savings, least amount capital and basically the least chance to make anything of themselves, even when you pass those roadblocks you are still questioned if you are there because of affirmative action or some quota, we live with the albatross that is no mater how good or skilled we are we are never and will never be equal. I know some people hate the fact that they had a 450 year head start and I still will beat the them to finish line. That being said when you look back and see that there wasn't a roadblock or a man alive that could stop you from achieving your goals. It empowers you; even with me writing this you still can't feel it you have to be it. Many people don't like the way we move or how we act but it is what it is. The way I see it you don’t have to, you don't like they way I act you can pound sand and your buddy can kick rocks. This is what success looks like, get used to it.

Any rate that was an aside that went further than I expected it to. Back to the Captain like I said he is a young guy that is at the top of his game. His highsiding and grandiose is part of his nature as a result his style runs directly counter to Shen Long. Shen is what you would think of when you think of an engineer, technically he is the top of the top but socially he has a way to go. They have been going at it back and forth trying to assert their dominance. It is irrelevant to me as long as they keep passing me checks I can keep both of them happy. I can serve two masters and not blink an eye. I like the Captain myself I find it humorous how he hands out massive ownings. Part of the reason I've moved up in the ranks is because he is impressed with my work ethic (which always comes first). From my point of view it's nice to have someone at the top that I can go to for information and he is open to the improvements that I have suggested in improving how we work with the Marines and how the Marines work with us. The thing I notice about him is he is an "Ends Justify the Means" type of guy. Give him results at any costs; I've been fortunate that I've been able to work in that capacity. I'd rather not be on the other side he is someone that I have noticed has no problem bringing to bear his rank and weight of his position to let you know that you are out of order.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

You know, perhaps I am just a naive white girl. But the things you speak of are just so foreign here in Australia ("as a Black man you learn quick fast and a hurry that the world is against you and society expects to fail" WTF??). We just don't have that shit here. Hell, we have only been here a couple of hundred years anyway, and we were a bunch of convicts to begin with no less. But we are just one big multicultural mix - English, Greeks, Italians, Lebanese, Indians, Pakistanis, Chinese, Vietnamese etc etc. But we are all Aussies. It doesn't matter. We are all given an equal education, we are all given equal opportunities for work, we are all equal.

Sure, you get your odd moron who may throw about a racist comment (or who like to beat their women or abuse their children or their pets), but THEY are the minority here. The whole concept is just so bizarre to me.

It's a bit like sexism here, I mean sure, it exists, but as a women I don't really feel it or experience it in my life. It can make for some funny jokes though, and that is about as far as it effects me.

Once, my brother brought home this South African while girl, who got talking about blacks and went to town on her little racist soap box. We were horrified... in this day and age... hell, some of her views we had only seen in movies on TV, we couldn't believe that someone here in Australia, of our generation no less, could still have such uneducated, ridiculous views.
Like I said, we were horrified. She was asked to leave our home, and was dumped. And quite rightly. I had never ever heard anything like this girl's views before in real life, and nor have I since.

My ex was black. In the 6 years it had been since he came here, he had a racist encounter only once. It was an outburst by a girl's father at a party. And the people who witnessed it (who were all white no less) were horrified, and didn't just stand around and tolerate it either.
I am in no way diminishing what you are saying or am I in anyway taking away from your experience or discounting your words or taking away from your plight, but Man, the view of the world is just so different in American compared to Australia.

But then again, you can't expect everyone to be as cool as us Aussies.

Bizarre.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 7:02:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

That is so refreshing to hear I can't wait to come to Australia What about the aborigines I thought they were treated badly in Australia???

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 12:20:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home