Continue to commune with greatness.

Monday, January 17, 2005

Fried Chicken, rice, black-eyed peas, ribs, and watermelon

That's what they had in the chow hall today. Coincidence that it is Martin Luther King Jr. Day? I think not.

Today I broke down. As you well know I've had a string of deaths in my in my family and I've been working extra hard to keep my mind off of it. Plus, when you are around co-workers and Marines 24/7 you don't want to appear "weak". Well tonight the guys I work with didn't go to chow so I walked by myself to the chow hall. I was cool but when I got my plate I started thinking of home. This is a meal that my Mom would cook for us on Sundays and at first I'm thinking to myself this is nowhere as good as my Mom's black-eyed peas and the next thing I know tears are welling up in my eyes. This brief moment alone gave me time to think about my family and I started to grieve. I was too choked up to eat anymore I got up from the table as quickly as I could so no one could see me and started my walk back to the office. With no one around, in the pitch black dark of a cold Iraqi night I cried. I cried for my cousin, I cried for my uncle, I cried for my family,I cried for myself. I miss home.

I want my Mommy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Winter ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

its alright dude, everyone has done it at one point or another.

Tuesday, January 18, 2005 2:33:00 AM

 
Blogger Amy ,when attempting to communicate with greatness, said...

Good for you, crying can be a good thing, a necessary thing, and you are man enough not only to do it, but to admit it too. Hang in there babe!

Wednesday, January 19, 2005 4:23:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home