Continue to commune with greatness.

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Limits of your Psyche

As one would suspect this job has a high turnover rate. Occupational hazards aside this job is hardest on families and lovers. One of my co-workers has coined the phrase limits of your psyche. This is the level at which one can reasonably process an action, activity, sound, smell, or vision. Once they breach that limit you can get unexpected results.

One of the FEs that came before me got shell-shocked after a particularly intense shelling. The guy wouldn’t come from up under his bed for a week. Eventually they had to sedate him so they could physically remove him from the room so the can clean him up and send him home. Sounds pathetic from where you and I are sitting but the way I see it this is a textbook example of what happens when someone exceeds the limits of their psyche. What would you do when you are feet away from dying? What goes thru your mind?
To me that doesn’t make him a coward or nut or a fruit or anything like that. It simply means that for this particular situation he was not the right person. All I can say is I never hope I breach my limit. But, January is a long month and I this next week actually has me terrified for all of us out here ask me again in 3 weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home